Hello, blog, do you remember me? Your well-meaning owner who is just too damn tired to write but has many great ideas? I’ve set a new goal for myself to write once a week and I’m hoping this “five things” format makes that easier for me. Here’s what’s up this week…
1. I scheduled my final CPA exam last week! I’m taking it February 27 which seems both far away and also really super close. When I’m finished I plan to write a whole series of tips and tricks about taking the CPA exam, so stay tuned if you’re interested in that. This whole journey has been a whirlwind trip and it is, by far, the hardest thing I’ve ever done — but also so very rewarding.
2. Weddings are all fun and games until they’re yours. On Christmas, my Super Cute Boyfriend became my Super Cute Fiancé, but we agreed that wedding planning was on hold until I finished CPA exam-ing. But let’s be real, I’ve been on Pinterest a little bit in my down time and pretty much everyone I know has offered to help in some way, maybe even to a fault. I’m not ready to think about centerpieces and bridesmaids dresses, okay? Let me enjoy this. Also, it’s really hard to deprogram my brain from saying “boyfriend” to “fiancé” after 3.5 years. By the time I get the hang of it he’ll probably be my husband.
3. In October of 2018, I had fairly major surgery on my knee and my orthopedic surgeon told me that Pilates were a great way to get back into fitness without damaging the very expensive work he’d done on my knee. It took me a full year to listen to him but I started taking Pilates classes in November and, as it turns out, I love it. The problem is, it’s stuuuupid expensive and there aren’t many studios. I don’t love the one I started at, but I do appreciate the introduction to Pilates I’ve gotten there. I’m undecided if I’ll continue in a studio but I’ve bought some at-home equipment to keep doing it. My next fitness adventure is going to be a spin class. Stay tuned to see what a shit show that is.
4. I started a new job in October! After 10.5 years at my old company, it was time for a big change. I actually went back to the company I was at from 2007-08, but this time I’m downtown. I really love working downtown! The commute is obviously a lot different than I’m used to, but I love being in the city. When the weather is nice I can go for a nice long walk with an audiobook and my lunch options feel endless. Plus, you know, the pay and benefits are good and I feel like I’ve finally got a job that both utilizes and recognizes my abilities.
5. More on this later, probably, but I finished 18 books in 2019, which is insane. I’ve not read that many in a year ever, so I don’t know how I managed that while studying. Actually, yes I do, I started listening to audiobooks (and yes, they count) which turn my commute/workout/walking time into productive literary consumption time. I’m about 500 years late, but I started the Harry Potter series this past year and I’m almost through the fifth book! For Christmas, my lovely sister gifted me my own set of the series. Side note – if you start a book in one year and finish it in another, which year does it count in? I had 3 books in process at Dec 31, but didn’t count them for 2019. Here’s to 20 books in 2020! Currently reading: (1) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, (2) Call Me By Your Name, and (3) Leaving Berlin.